Hybrid Heat pumps 
A hybrid heat pump is the combination of a heat pump with a fossil-fueled boiler. By combining two heating devices within one control strategy, it is possible to use the heat pump or boiler part of the heating installation. This flexibility allows to optimize heat production according to local considerations. For instance, regarding CO2- production, running costs, primary energy, grid congestion or load balancing.
Additionally, a hybrid heating system generally has lower investment costs than an all-electric heat pump and will fit within comparably tight spaces. Because a fossil-fueled heater is always available as auxiliary heater, hybrid systems are an enabler for the use of heat pumps in retrofit situations. Using this definition, a wide range of possible setups is still possible. However, a configuration consisting of a heat pump and an electrical resistance heater is explicitly NOT considered as a hybrid setup.
Although heat pumps have been around on the market for several decades now, the combination of a HP and boiler into a package under a single control strategy is relatively new on the market. The first truly commercial systems were – as far as we know – introduced in the Netherlands some decade ago. Within the Annex group, the focus has been on several topics:
● Overview of the market opportunities for hybrid HPs;
● Overview of demonstration projects in the participating countries;
● Modelling and discussion on control strategies;
● The role of hybrid HPs in the transition towards 100% renewable/carbon neutral heating.
The final report summarizes the discussion from the Annex group over the past three years. In the meantime, the market has changed quite from non-existent into a growing wave of interest in hybrid HPs as an intermediate step towards renewable heating can be noticed in France, the Netherlands and the UK.
We will present distinguishable difference for hybrid heat pump configurations two dominant package setups:
● 1 Add-on In this setup, the heat pump is used as an additional system next to a boiler.
● 2 Integrated systems Integrated systems are boiler/HP combinations that are sold as one integrated physical package. Such a package consists of boiler, heat pump, controls, etc. that are specifically designed to operate together.
--- Datum: 23.10.2019 Uhrzeit: 11:55 - 12:15 Uhr Ort: Saal Brüssel, NCC Mitte